How to Find the Perfect Rental Property
Whether you are considering a move, or are new to the rental industry, the process of finding the perfect rental property can be time-consuming and frustrating. Just over a third of Americans rent their homes and range in age, family size, income, and necessities. Fortunately, there are plenty of rentals through real estate management Raleigh NC, Wilson Property Management, for all household types and budgets. Your home is where you spend the majority of your time, so here are a handful of tips on how to find the perfect property for you to rent in Raleigh, NC.
- Make a list of what is a necessity, preference, and not needed. This should be the very first step to any relocation journey. Reflect on your lifestyle and write down any home features that would make your life easier. This list should include everything you deem essential to live somewhere. Once you have a good idea of your needs, wants, and desires for your rental property, it’s time to start the search. Obviously, this list will differ for each situation, but here are common considerations:
- Area (school district, crime maps, commute to work, proximity to your grocery store/gym/park, gated or HOA community, like-minded neighbors)
- Size (rooms, bathrooms, backyard, garage or shed)
- Pet friendly, smoking friendly, etc.
- Features (an island in the kitchen, walk-in shower, fenced-in backyard, natural light, shrubbery)
- Start searching through listings. Listings may be available through the local newspaper, magazines, or found by simply driving around; however, the best way to find the most recent and informational posts is through the internet. Websites such as Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist can get you started, but to really dive into the search, visit a property management website such as Wilson Property Management to view all of their available properties. Searching online allows you to refine your search by the number of rooms, area, price, and other preferences.
- Let the touring begin. After you have found a handful of qualifying properties, reach out to the landlords or the real estate management Raleigh NC company and set up a tour. Viewing the home or apartment through a slideshow of images or even a video tour gives a good first glimpse into what the property will look like, but nothing beats seeing it in person. With COVID-19 altering traditional showings, ask about their procedures or policies to make sure both parties are aware of what is expected.
- Gather information and apply. 9 times out of 10, a rental property will require you to submit an application to live there. These applications provide vital information for landlords to gain better insight into who could be living in their house. Through this process, a background check, credit check, proof of income, and a list of past landlords or references can be requested by the landlord or real estate management Raleigh NC company. Before starting this, we suggest having at least the amount of three months’ rent in your bank account, all personal information, and a recent pay stub handy.
- Review your lease. You applied to your dream space, and were accepted! Now is time for you to put a deposit down and sign your lease. Many aspects of a lease are negotiable, such as:
- Lease term
- Perks or grants
- Small remodeling projects
- Responsibilities of tenant and landlord
A lease is also a place for the landlord to instill conditions that weren’t originally listed in the rental description or application. Typically for first-time renters or students, a landlord will request a co-signer or an extra deposit for a pet that doesn’t exactly fit the property guidelines.
Searching for a new place to call home is a big deal, and should be treated as such. It is normal for the process to take time, patience, and effort to find the perfect spot for you so don’t feel the need to rush or jump into signing for a property that doesn’t check off all of your marks. Wilson Property Management is here to help any searching renter in the Raleigh or Durham area find their perfect property, so contact us for real estate management Raleigh NC today.
Wilson Property Management
Established in 1989, Wilson Property Management is a full-service rental property management Raleigh NC company offering both homeowner association and rental management. Wilson Property Management currently manages 16 associations, approximately 1000 individual rental units, and currently has four on-site offices. Contact us today to learn more about the Wilson real estate management and other property services we offer in the Triangle such as managing your HOA.